You are here:  Home  >  Show News  >  Shark Tank Season 1  >  Current Article

First Shark Announced: The Dragons Leave the Den

By   /   December 22, 2008  /   7 Comments

Mark Burnett has announced his first Shark and he is also a Dragon. Kevin O’Leary has been announced as one of the Sharks on Mark Burnett’s The Shark Tank that will air on ABC. Kevin O’Leary is one of the Dragons from the Canadian version, which airs on CBC.

Kevin O’Leary knows all about obtaining money. The Montreal native made a fortune helping to develop an educational software company in the 1980s and ’90s that eventually sold to Mattel in 1999 for $4.2 billion. After that success he move to the storage business, selling his stake in Storage Now in 2007 for $110 million. He’s now chair of Gencap Funds LP, which manages several global equity funds. Mr. O’Leary’s also co-hosts a show about invention on Business News Network.

O’Leary is all about the money, often ignoring spay stories and concentration on profit. “I don’t worry about people’s feelings when it comes to money. I worry about their money.” He says. I like to just speak the facts. If people find that emotionally distressing, so what? I speak the truth.”

Filming is set to start early next month

Source: Toronto Star

Update* The pilot is set to shoots January 6-9 in Los Angeles.

1. Susan says:

Howard and Brenden,
    So far we are wrong on our guesses.

2. Brenden says:

ya I ha actually thought of Kevin, after all he is a self made billiair but I just assumed that Americans would not go for a Canadian, who was helping people reach their American dream.

3. Rick Cleary says:

I just heard about this show. Does anyone know if there will be a second round of auditions?

4. Charles says:

Where are the American Sharks?

5. Brenden says:

No Idea, only two Sharks have been announced. These Sharks may have only been stand in for the pilot episode, or they may be the sharks for the first season.

6. [...] we announced that Kevin O’Leary and Robert Herjavec would be some of the Shark Tank investor. I am happy to announce that Kevin [...]

7. Braulio Fernandez says:

I am interested in speaking to Kevin O’leary about an idea that I would like to license. This idea stands to replace an existing product that is used in the medical field. It is used by everyone to satisfy a human function, and is important enough that it can save lives.

This product will be used internationally in hospitals, homes, nursing facilities, etc., and can be sold via the Internet, in medical catalogs, in home improvement centers and in retail outlets. I look forward to discussing my idea further with Mr. O’Leary. Thanks