You are here:  Home  >  Show News  >  Shark Tank Season 1  >  Current Article

Introducing the Sharks: A First Look at the Millionaires

By   /   March 30, 2009  /   32 Comments

Meet the Sharks from Mark Burnett Shark Tank: Kevin Harrington, Barbara Corcoran, Kevin O’Learty, Robert Herjavec and Daymond John.

Previously we announced that Kevin O’Leary and Robert Herjavec would be some of the Shark Tank investors. I am happy to announce that
Kevin Harrington, Barbara Corcoran and Daymond John will be joining them as Sharks.

Barbara Corcoran
barb-about3
Barbara Corcoran is a self-made millionaire. After borrowing $1000 from her boyfriend and quitting her job she started a real estate company in New York City. Twenty-five years later she grew The Corcoran Group into a five-billion-dollar real estate business.

In 2001 Barbara sold The Corcoran Group for $70 million.  After selling her business she wrote the book “If You Don’t Have Big Breasts, Put Ribbons on Your Pigtails” which became a national best-seller.

Barbara continues to be the real estate contributor for NBC’s Today Show and CNBC, and she’s a columnist for The Daily News, MORE magazine and Redbook.

Kevin Harrington

Kevin Harringon

Kevin Harrington is the CEO of TVGoods.com and the Co-founder of OmniReliant Holding. He is considered to be a pioneer in the Infomercial Industry.  In 1984 Kevin filmed his first infomercial. 25 years and over 500 shows late and he has had sales over $4 billion.

Kevin has taken his infomercial business around the world, opening offices in London, Tokyo, Sao Paulo and Jaddah (Saudi Arabia).

Daymond John
Daymond John
Daymond John is best know for his fashion line FUBU which he started in 1992. After seeing a over priced tie-top had selling for $20 he decided he could make and sell them himself. His mother taught him how to use a sewing machine and he begin selling the hats which turned into FUBU. FUBU’s collection later expanded to include hockey jerseys, t-shirts and baseball caps, all embroidered with the FUBU label.

With early support from John’s friend, entertainer LL Cool J, FUBU quickly became one of the leading urban clothing lines, setting fashion trends initially for young Americans. However, FUBU’s popularity extended beyond the inner city, from suburban malls in the Midwest to Russian Internet sites, making it a true international powerhouse.

Kevin O’Leary

Kevin O’Leary knows all about obtaining money. The Montreal native made a fortune helping to develop an educational software company in the 1980s and ’90s that eventually sold to Mattel in 1999 for $4.2 billion. After that success he move to the storage business, selling his stake in Storage Now in 2007 for $110 million. He’s now chair of Gencap Funds LP, which manages several global equity funds. Mr. O’Leary’s also co-hosts a show about invention on Business News Network.

O’Leary is all about the money, often ignoring spay stories and concentration on profit. “I don’t worry about people’s feelings when it comes to money. I worry about their money.” He says. I like to just speak the facts. If people find that emotionally distressing, so what? I speak the truth.”

Robert Herjavec

Robert Herjavec’s parents did not have money, and he tells the story of how his mother, a Croatian immigrant with a poor command of English, once bought a vacuum cleaner from a smooth-talking door-to-door salesman. Or at least she thought she’d bought it, with a sizeable payment. It wasn’t until 12-year-old Robert came home from school and read the contract that she realized the payment was part of a lease, to be just one of many. He says he vowed then never to be taken advantage of again.

Robert waited tables to put himself through school. After school he saw the opportunity in IT and founded his own company BRAK systems. BRAK systems soon became Canada’s top Internet security provider. In 2000 he sold is company to AT&T for $100 Million. Soon after Robert helped negotiate the sale of another tech company for $225 million. Lately Robert has been heading up The Herjavec Group, which is Canada’s Fastest growing IT Security company.

What do you think about the Sharks? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

1. Pat Clark says:

I have several inventions. Some patented,some copyrighten and some unprotected. I would like to introduce the to your corporation. Please advise.

2. [...] few months back I introduced you to the Sharks. This week ABC has released a little more detailed bio’s of the [...]

3. i always seem to miss the casting dates of shows like this. is there a way i can be notified via email of the next casting dates and locations? BUCKLE-UP

4. mel says:

I need to find how to apply for the show
    the abc e-mail link I get no responce
    If you can help with any info
    mel_cola@cox.net

5. WOW!! I love this show. I watched it for the first time today and am taping all episodes. I have to be on this show because my company would definitely be of interest to the Big Fish. I started it in 2004, making $12,000 a year and have a sales growth of 282% (2009). My company is at full capacity and needs to move to the next level. If anyone’s out there from the show I can be contacted through my email or website.
    Sincerely,
    Allison Cousins—CEO & Founder
    cousinsproducts.com
    Home of Creole Tomato Salad Dressing

6. Terry Boult says:

Interesting.. parts of it are good, but parts are weak. I hoped to be able to use it for class but the presentations are too superfluous.. offering 1M for a patent, without looking at it in any detail, is unrealstic. It could be an incredibly narrow patent that is easily circumvented. (Hard to imagine the general life-belt concept is patentable, its obvious given other safety features, so it must be narrow). For the Jam, there was not discussion of the future IP generated, without which its hard to figure value or the risk for the creator.

Parts of the show are really good but without any details for followup its to shallow to actually teach anything.. hopefully they can post more on a website to we can learn from it not just have people into the drama of the deal and personalities which I don’t think will last long.

Like others people will want to know how to get on.. I have teams of students that would be great as well local companies that would want to get on the show. If they really want this to take offt they may, like idol, need auditions around the country..

7. Anne J says:

terry: I know that for the UK and Canadian versions of the show (where it’s called Dragon’s Den) they have a “where are they now” episode at the end of each season that shows what happens later. And a lot of the times with the UK show, the deals made on the show fall through later. After the offer is accepted on the show, the dragons (the sharks of the UK version) will enter much more detailed talks with the inventors. I think they are going to do the same thing with the US show.

8. diane says:

Please contact the Davision Group 595 Alpha drive Pitts, PA 15238-
    for details on the predevelopment of a (game). This idea
    would be educational and fun for all ages.
    Contack Erik Tomko / of G. Davidson

Idea submitted my Diane from Cleveland, Ohio and was in exclusive
    development process around October 10, 2008. I would like your
    company to finish the development and get it on the shelves in stores.
    A fair offer will be accepted by myself.

9. Brannon Dobbs says:

Please contact Brannon Dobbs regarding my patent of an extremly simple constuction concrete product.This product could replace 25% of the bag concrete industry. Thank You Brannon Dobbs

10. Pat Clark says:

I seen your show last night. Very interesting. I e-mailed you on 4-22-2009, and received no respond. So let me try this again with maybe a little more information. I have several inventions, patented and copyrights. I will give you the two patent numbers so you can read the information. US 6,769,726 B1 / US 6,988,737 B1. These patents are on ground level and need to be marketed. At this point I am looking for an interested person to purchase the patents and proceed in marketing them. Please advise. Pat Clark..941-955-2000..patclarkart@verizon.net.

11. Bernette lowry says:

I would like to be on the show. Thanks for having a show like this for inventors to finally have the opportunity to become someone. I have several ideals 336 303 6993

12. I don’t get to watch much television but saw your show and really enjoyed it. I am wondering if your investments are limited to novel product ideas or if you would consider an investment in existing successful business for expansion and ultimate merger, acquisition or IPO?

13. every year people in wheelchairs are stranded by the snow.I invented a snowplow attachment for a power chair.I have tested it on tons of snow .I now have a paton on my plow but I need help launching this product.I use this plow in the summer plowing down weeds & making perfect trails for my wheelchair. I love my plow. google snowplowing wheelchair or wheelchair snowplow im the one with the cowboy hat!

14. Peter Mladen says:

I love the show. We e- mailed you September 22, 2009 and recived no respond let me try again. We have a bren new product Remote Control Smoke Fire /CO Detector. The product will save millions and millions people’s live’s, product that you can test the baterry remotly from your hand, people do not have to take the baterry out.
    Patent# USA 6,975,223

15. Mark Guthrie says:

Hello I am in need of some help from someone that has the money and knowledge it takes to make a great ideal into great wealth. What I have is a golf accessory. It is small and very handy .It Eliminates some unaddressed problems that golfers over look.The Shoecaddy will save time, steps, and bends leaving you less stressed and not as tired at the end of the day. The sport of golf is bigger than it has ever been .And the people that can afford to play golf can afford to spend money on The Shoecaddy. thank you

16. Devanney says:

Hello, I am looking for the investors who has knoledge and takes my partner and my business to the next level. We are manufacturing high ends jewelry from Asia. We build 6 stores in southeast Asia in a year. We are looking to expand the market to the United States. We look forward to hearing from you!
    Best Regards,
    Devanney and Hung. Please email us at
    devdo2010@gmail.com

17. OK I am moving rite along with my invention now I have a mfg. Ive even Had people asking me to hurry up with my product.With all the snow fall this year Ive had allot of testing & OMG this snow plow works so well.There is going to be allot of happy handicapped challenged disabled persons to experience the feeling of total freedom when they get behind my snowplow attachment for a power wheelchair.Limits will be lowered & freedom will be achieved.Ive have been paralized for 30 yrs all the time inventing but this has got to be my best yet.

18. reyes valdez says:

laydies first hello barbra ,damon keven,robert and mark i love your tv show ,i have the perfect invention for one of you guys. if your a millionar ill make you a billionar with this one. im a country boy from northern new mexico and i am 40 y old.iv been wrighting down inventions 4 20 years now .im not asking for money unless wi do good.please take this as a good thing. i dont know how els to talk with you.please call me so we can talk . 505-685-4360 or 575-209-9299 ask for reyes valdez

19. Rose says:

PLEASE INVESTORS put some money together and help INVENTORS, DREAMERS AND ORDINARY HARD WORKING AMERICAN PEOPLE to keep the AMERICAN DREAM A LIFE.
    One stone in our way can break our leg, hundred of these can help us to build a soft road and keep the wheel moving.

20. RICHARD says:

WHEN IS THE DAY AND TIME SHARK TANK AIRS IN HAWAII?

21. Is it time. Are the sharks cumming back. I’m waiting.I’m ready.Lets see the sharks work there magic.I want to see new producs wow me ,interesting and exciting,mabie an oil plug .How about a tapered plug with an explosive aimed at a well hole designed to blast and plug an out of control oil leak ,what an idea!How about a snowplow for a wheelchair.Lets all think outside the box .

22. bruce moorhead says:

contact me with information when an were i can talk with the show in south florida. you dont answer the app. waiting

23. Tripp says:

Just to share some information. I’ve spoken personally with Barbara from the Shark Tank show about my #EZrake. For those inventors or new businesses that hope to pitch any of the Sharks outside of appearing on the show – Barbara informed me that, all of the Sharks are under contract not to invest in any outside deals other than those that are presented to them on the Shark Tank. Maybe things have changed, but at the time she spoke to me about this issue – none of the Sharks could invest outside of the show participants.

24. I have an invention that would revolutionize current home security, at a minimum cost and allow every cable owner, globally afford home security for their family. I have a trademark ticket number. attorney file number date of invention, notarizedndocuments e.t.c.. I have researched AT LENGTH the USPTOS website, nhve interviewed many many companies re: cuurent systems installation costs how they work e.t.c.. I am confident that my idea is fantastic, and possibly a 7 figure if not 8 figure profit probability. If interested, 847-669-6615.

25. Ruston Haughey says:

Ho can i contact to talk about a Great Patent that i have. That should have bin 4 differnt Patents. Jeb Bush once told me that each idea is a Mailty Billion Dollar Idea. I wood like to sell ??? or team up with a nether company. I em open to all possibilities.

Please Contact Me. At your earliest convenice.

26. Adrian Hulse says:

I have a great idea, and I know the producers would love it. How do i apply on line to be on the show?

Hi Adrian,

Check out our Shark Tank casting page for more info. While the open casting calls for Season 3 are over, it may still be possible to send in an application via e-mail. Hope this helps.

28. ryan says:

Please email me, the technology for my idea already exist. This will be the biggest ad for tv in 20 years. It’s a safety feature for cars. Please contact me.

29. Kathryn LaReno says:

I know you hear this frequently. I e-mailed your website on July 5,2011. I have an invention, last famous words huh, but I have researched it to no end. It is regarding home se\urity for the home possibly other avenues as well which I would go into later. I have reviewed many pattens and applications for them and I have yet to find what I have come up with. I will admit I do not have the funds to pursue. I did however submit the idea, along with Jeff Sorenson and Kristen Hedberg, to a research development firm that is quite reputable. IThey felt the idea was fantasstic with some caution. I woul like the opportunity to discuss his with any of you. I am starting my life over, comp;letely, at 49. Not that this is relevant however sometimes it is the little guy/gal who makes it. Forgive my typing, a typist I am not. I appreciate any time even a few minutes to discuss. Enjoy the energyof your show and the inspiration. Respectfully, Kathryn ph# 778-771-9414.

30. Wayne Thorning says:

How do you get an idea on this show and in front of the Sharks.

31. Will some one Contact us ? after we puta Post up ? Or should we call ? and if So ? Ho?