You are here:  Home  >  Casting News  >  Current Article

Over 400 Pitch Their Businesses at Shark Tank LA Casting Call

By   /   May 25, 2012  /   15 Comments

The build up to Thursday’s open Shark Tank LA casting call was palpable on Twitter and Facebook, but even after a line started to form on Wednesday early evening, I still wasn’t sure what to expect. In Chicago earlier this month a few hundred entrepreneurs turned out to pitch their businesses to the producers, so that was the expectation I had in mind. However, all told yesterday there were over 400 pitches heard at the Shark Tank LA casting call, which is an all-time high in the history of the show.

Many have asked what the process is for an open casting call, and instead of attempting to explain it, recently I ran across a post by Fleetwood, the good guy behind Villy Customs, and he really does it justice. He relays his Shark Tank experience beginning with his audition in Dallas last summer (2011). Funny to think that a year ago he was auditioning, and today he’s got one of the hottest bike companies on the planet. Here is a link to the post on Villy’s Facebook page.

Feel free to let us know what your Shark Tank LA casting call experience was like. As we mentioned earlier this month, there will be a 3rd open casting call announced soon, we’re just waiting on the details. No idea on location but as far as timing the open call is expected to be in late June.

If you’re looking for information on how to apply for Shark Tank Season 4, our Casting Information page has all the latest details. Best of luck to all who are applying!

1. Frank says:

Spent the day at the LA casting call. Got there around 5AM and was about a hundred people back. Time went fast and there was great comaraderie between us all. Fewer crazies than I thought but there were a few. Once it got going at 12:00 it was extremely organized and flowed quickly. They mentioned Miami as the next stop for casting during the orientation. Biggest tip to prospective applicants they want the pitch a miute or less so be ready! Very positive experience for me…….

2. Tarah Evans says:

We were there as well, and could’ve sworn there were WAY more than 400 people! We flew in the night before and the line had already formed, so we quickly purchased a lawn chair and got in line. My business partner and I took turns sleeping and waiting in line all night and the atmosphere was fun and exciting. The Shark Tank crew was super-organized and did a great job managing the chaos. By noon we were being ushered into an auditorium in smaller groups and then it was on to the pitches! It was a great experience; getting to pitch our business idea as well as meeting all of the other hopefuls and seeing everyone’s awesome products and ideas. Thanks Shark Tank!

3. Norm Bour says:

I was there, it was controlled mayhem and many people networked in the street. I got past my first interview and had the option of waiting half a day to create a 3-5 minute video or do it myself. I chose to do my own, so that will be sent in shortly. Met some fascinating entrepreneurs with great ideas as well as some that made me ask “what are they thinking?” There is a art AND a science to this process, so do your research.

Hey Frank, Tarah, and Norm —

First of all, best of luck to each of you! Thanks for sharing your experiences from the LA open casting call. I wish I got a more exact count but I only heard that “at least” 400 businesses were pitched.

Anyway, it sounds like you all took something good away, which is great. I’ve heard the experience is exhilarating and exhausting at the same time.

Here’s hoping you all go far

5. Tim Cook says:

I arrived at the casting call about 10 am and the line was down the block. Parking was not too hard to find. Line compacted pretty well once they started the process. Bring your A game as you only get about 45 seconds to pitch. Then you get asked a couple questions and then you get through to the video round or they tell you thanks and if we are interested, we’ll call. We made it, and best of luck to all.

6. Mommy inventor says:

Tim- you made it to the show ( got the callback?) or you got to be filmed? They said 3 weeks, right? That would be this week…I too made it to filming… Were u given a paper to fill out before u left the filming room?

7. Mommy inventor says:

So has anyone who went to an open casting call in Chicago, LA or Orlando (probably not since it just happened two days ago) gotten a callback yet for season 4?

How do they contact you? Via email or phone?

Anxiously waiting…

8. Deb says:

HI Mommy Inventor,

My partner was at the Chicago Auditions and we made it to the video submission. We have not heard anything yet. We are also wondering if anyone has heard about going to LA to shoot??

9. JOhn says:

We were at the LA casting, and we were told we would hear back by June 18th if we made the show.

Has anyone got news as to whether they have been chosen for the show?

Thanks!!!

10. Mommy inventor says:

Something to think about- for all of us who were at the LA CASTING, we were told 3 weeks… The Orlando casting wasn’t announced until after a week had passed from the LA CASTING. I am just hoping that they are looking at all the applicants from all 3 casting calls now.

11. Kent von Letkemann says:

I am thinking that no choices will be made until they have a chance to look at everyone and narrow it down. I hope, I am correct!!!!

12. Joyce:) says:

I didn’t get a follow up call yet:(( I got an initial call from a producer and submitted the application and video. Still hoping for that phone call saying we made it. Stay positive my friends!

13. mark says:

I went to the Orlando audition and was 10th in line at 3 am. the line eventually formed to about 200. I was chosen to do a video and as i was waiting I would say as many as 75 people WERE NOT chosen to do videos and left after their pitch. I was told by the lead Producer Scott, that if I was one of the chosen 110 people they would need I would get a call “in 3 to 4 weeks” It was a great experience and I met a lot of great people with some super ideas. Good luck to all and hope to see you on the show. Mark aka the guy with the furry cowboy hat!

14. Mommy inventor says:

Filming started today…. How soon are you notified before you go to be filmed? One week?

15. Jody Baker says:

I was also there in L.A it was an experience for sure. what happens if we get a call back does that mean we are in for sure . or is there a process of elimination